Mosquitoes grow in still or very slow-moving water, adult females will lay between 100 and 400 eggs at one time. Their reproduction rate is surprisingly fast, the eggs will hatch in 1 to 2 days and will turn into an adult in less than 10 days.
How to Reduce the Mosquito Population in Your Yard
- empty birdbaths and clean once a week. If you have dog water bowls, make sure they are also emptied frequently
- make sure eaves troughs are clean and draining properly
- make sure your ponds have adequate pond flow
- any water being held on tarps, in old tires or pots should be dumped once a week
- try and level out low spots in yard with standing water
Bats: A single small bat can eat between 600-1200 mosquitoes an HOUR! They are the main night time predator of mosquitoes. Installing a bat house is a nice method to help keep down the mosquito population in your backyard. You can mount them on a tree, a pole or a building without nearby obstructions at least 15-20′ in the air. You want to make sure that your bat house receives around 5-6 hours of sun, and preferably a morning sun. The higher the placement of the house, the more likely you are to attract bats.
Goldfish: Adding goldfish to ponds is another way to reduce mosquito larvae. Goldfish LOVE mosquito larvae, unlike traditional pond koi which do not eat mosquito larvae.
- Mosquito-less: This is a garlic based product that has been used by professional lawn care technicians for over 10 years. Wedding planners and outdoor event coordinators swear by it, you will see mosquitoes leave the area sprayed within minutes of using the product. Mosquitoes are 10,000 times more sensitive to natural garlic than us, and the garlic smell to us humans dissipates within hours. Our bottle can treat up to 3,000 square feet. Most home owners, and professional lawn care applicators only apply it 3 times a season. This Canadian-made product is safe to use around pets and plants when used as directed.
- Mosquito- Dunks: Great for ponds or large bodies of water, like unopened pools, mosquito dunks treat 100 square feet of surface area and work for 30 days. It uses BTI, a bacteria toxic only to mosquito larvae, which is non-toxic to all other wildlife, pets, fish and humans. Kills mosquito larvae within hours.
- Citrosa Geraniums: Also known as the Mosquito plant, this scented geranium smells like citronella candles. These wonderfully scented geraniums do best in a sunny location, and can grow up to 2-4′ tall ( you can prune them to keep them smaller). Jerry, the owner, finds it best to tear a leaf off and crush/bruise it and place it under his chair