MAY 23rd – Hours We’re Open to the Public
Currently, the store will be open to customers starting at 2pm daily, and will continue until close. Hours may yet change, but here’s how things look right now:
- Monday: 2-8
- Tuesday: 2-8
- Wednesday: 2-8
- Thursday: 2-8
- Friday: 2-8
- Saturday: 2-6
- Sunday: Closed
Folks who have ordered online can still pickup their orders during their chosen time slot, even if it’s before 2pm… it’s just that afterwards, you won’t be able to walk through the store unless it’s after 2.
Please note that our Victoria Day sales are over for the year! This means that many items like our vegetables, hanging baskets and other items have gone back to their original prices.
Some items, like our succulents, and 1 Gallon Irises and other items remain on sale.
If you happen to go to buy something which showed a sale price, but noticed that the sale disappeared when you go to purchase, it would be because your computer/tablet/phone had been showing on to old, “cached” information from back before the sale had ended.
Devices and websites don’t always automatically update each time you visit, and will sometimes show older information that it saved, rather than showing current/newer info.
When this happens, try visiting the page/product or site from a different web browser or device, or try to clear your browser’s “cache”. That will clear up any saved, old information and help it show only the newest info available!
WE’RE OPEN AT 2PM TODAY!
It’s been a long time coming, but we’re ready and we’re opening our doors to customers at 2pm today! We’ve spent the past few weeks getting everything together, and making things as safe as possible for everyone.
When visiting, please note that there have been some changes:
- We’ll be limiting the number of customers who can be in at any given time
- Everyone must have a cart to enter
- Maximum of two people per family, per cart
- Handle products as little as possible. Touch only what you intend to purchase
- Follow the marked one-way paths throughout the greenhouse. Paths are marked with yellow arrows.
- Please keep to physical distancing – stay a minimum of six feet away from staff, and other customers.
- It is strongly recommended (and appreciated) that customers wear a mask and gloves
- Sanitize hands before entering, and once you’ve left
Please respect our rules to keep us, and you, safe!
Please note, today’s opening time of 2pm may be for today only. We are still taking online orders daily, and depending on different factors, we may open earlier, or later each day. Please check back here, and/or our Social Media pages (Facebook, Instagram) for any changes.
May 18 – More on Sale!
May 16 – Victoria Day Sales
An issue prevented our Lilac nursery stock from going on sale as it had been intended, but that’s now been corrected and the sale items can be found in the Victoria Sale section of the store. New sale items will be added through the day!
May 14 – Bulk Yard Pickups
It looks as though there might be some strangeness going on with Bulk Yard pickups since we implemented pick-up timeslots for regular/greenhouse purchases. Please rest assured that if you’re buying something from the Bulk Yard, you can drive up to our Bulk Yard during business hours and pick up your order once it’s been paid. No need to wait! You can pick up whenever you want – be it immediately after purchase, or the next day…etc.
Purchases made from the greenhouse or store will still be made available at least the day after you make your purchase, and during the time slot you chose during checkout.
May 13 – Pickups can be scheduled as early as 9am starting tomorrow!
When our Pickup Area gets busy, it gets REALLY busy – and we’ve been searching for ways to speed up the pickup process so that folks don’t have to queue for so long, and give people the freedom to pick up their orders at different times of the day.
We’ve started to implement Pickup Times – meaning that starting now, when you can choose from a range of timeslots! We’ve also set it so that only so many orders can be made every hour, to try and space out orders so that nobody is overwhelmed.
This means that if a specific time has all of its order slots filled, then that timeslot won’t appear when ordering, and you’ll be able to choose from either an earlier, or later slot.
We’re hoping that this makes things easier for everyone!
As a heads-up, this is brand new to all of us, so times, ranges and even how many orders can be made may very well change as we work things out.
May 12 – Out of Stock items are back on the site!
Our web developer was able to set it so that when products are out of stock, they can still appear in the store, except now they’ll appear at the end of the page/category/list, rather than being interspersed among the other, in-stock items.
We’re now working on bringing back the Waitlist app and option, and another update will come if/when that holds true.
In more upbeat news, we now have a bunch of new Annual Hanging Baskets in (and on sale!), as well as some fancy new plants in – including the giant (to me) Bengal Tiger Canna, the absolutely striking (and rare) Birkin philodendron, and the adorable “Mini Monstera” which comes on its own trellis!
We’ve also been hard at work creating new planters for Victoria Day, and they’re available right here and now!
May 12 – Changes to how/if items will appear based on stock
When browsing the store, you may have noticed that some items that had been online, aren’t appearing any longer!
Due to conflicts with our website, we had to disable and remove the Wait List option, which allowed folks to choose to be notified when out of stock items were restocked. Once this changed, we noticed that our product pages were cluttered with out of stock items – so much so that our actual in-stock items were much harder to find.
To help clear up space, and highlight the items we do have in stock, we set it so that any sold-out items won’t appear in the Online Store until they’re back in and available.
We’ve also set it so that any items that are low in stock display their stock numbers right on their product page.
Also, you may notice that some products will say “In Stock”, while others won’t say anything about stock numbers at all. Don’t worry! This just has to do with the different inventory settings we can choose in the store:
Saying “In Stock”: This is a product whose inventory we’re tracking manually. There may be 100 of the item, or there may be 10, so it’s not an indicator of its stock levels: Just that we’ve made sure to input the actual # of items we have in stock. When products sell out, the product sets itself that way automatically.
No mention about stock: This is for products where we’re not tracking the actual inventory levels. If it’s in stock, we set it to say that it’s in stock, when sold out, we manually change it.
We’re also looking for ways to set it so that anything out of stock will still be visible in the store, BUT won’t clutter up the Product Pages (It is, after all, better to see what we have had before, and will hopefully have again). Soon as we find a way to do this, you can expect a new News update.
If you’re looking for something in particular, and aren’t sure if it’s sold out or not, please email us at email@example.com and we’ll check it out for you. Thanks!
May 7th – No changes to current walk-in policy as of May 8th
There has been a lot of talk about the new update from the Government, and how they’ve lifted the restrictions facing garden centers and nurseries – allowing such places to choose whether or not to have customers come in to their stores..
At this time, Rice Road Greenhouses will not be allowing customers to come in to the store. This was not an easy decision, but the safety of all of our staff, workers and customers are of paramount importance. We honestly cannot ensure physical distancing, nor the level of sanitizing needed to keep everyone safe, and as such cannot currently accommodate walk-ins.
As soon as this changes, we’ll be sure to update on our site and social media.
Thank you everyone!
May 4th – We’re in the News
Jerry Moes, the owner of Rice Road Greenhouses has made a couple of appearances in the Welland Tribune lately, sharing his experiences regarding plunging into the world of online selling due to COVID-19, as well as sharing concerns regarding competition who don’t have to play by the same rules, and concerns regarding social distancing.
May 4th – Updates from the Government
The Ontario Government recently updated and clarified their rules regarding businesses like ours, and it has been confirmed that we’re now officially allowed to be open for local pickup and delivery ONLY. Luckily, this is just what we, and many other greenhouses have been doing since COVID-19 struck, so we’re in good shape! While this means that folks still cannot come in to our store, we’re going to continue to offer local pickup to customers, and we’re still working to ensure that we can offer delivery and shipping for all our products.
PHONE, INTERNET AND SHIPPING/DELIVERY/PICKUP STRANGENESS
Saturday morning greeted us with a power outage, followed shortly by phone and internet issues. This caused phone calls to drop unexpectedly at worst, and poor call quality at best. We had hoped that service had been restored, but reports are coming back in that phones are being choppy, and calls are sometimes dropping.
If this happens to you, please keep on trying, try ordering online, or please send your name, phone number (just in case) and order/request to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll try to get back to you as possible.
Despite all this oddness, any bulk orders can still be picked up same-day!
All other orders will be made ready as soon as Monday.
PHONE, INTERNET AND SHIPPING/DELIVERY/PICKUP STRANGENESS
Our web developer is still battling whatever bugs have been causing incorrect charges to show up for customers when they choose local pickup/delivery/shipping.
If you’re seeing an incorrect shipping charge, please be sure to clear out your web browser’s cache (or try using an Incognito window in Google Chrome), and try again.
If it pops up yet again, if possible, please take a screenshot of what you see, and please email it to us at email@example.com, along with the link that appears when you visit whatsmybrowser.org .
Thank you all for your understanding while we work through all this!
April 29 – May 1
ISSUES WITH INCORRECT SHIPPING/PICKUP CHARGES
In a bid to try and offer flat-rate shipping for smaller items across Ontario, we are still trying to implement a new shipping system which had unforeseen consequences: Local customers were being charged large amounts, incorrectly, for shipping/pickup.
Our Web Developer is working furiously to identify where the issues are happening, and why, and resolve them for good. Any information provided by affected customers is hugely appreciated.
- What went wrong
- How much the incorrect charge had been for
- Which option you chose when the charge appeared (delivery, shipping, or pickup)
- Your Postal Code
For anyone who has received an incorrect charge, please rest assured that we’re refunding any odd charges every time we spot one. If concerned that we might have missed your charge, please check your credit card statement/PayPal account, and if an incorrect charge hit when it shouldn’t have, PLEASE email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the amount you were charged, the date, and if possible, your order number.
For those of you who have already called, emailed or contacted us over Social Media – we have you down, and we’re working on refunds as quickly as we can!
Plant Finder is no more, and will eventually no longer be able to be accessed, even through bookmarks.
To explain, Plantfinder is a relic from before we had a proper, working online store, and was meant to help people see what we had/might have available, and then print out their “wish list” and visit us at the store and be able to pick up items while walking around.
Plantfinder would have been great, had COVID-19 not happened and forced us to move our entire product list online, and be available for purchase online. It’s currently impossible for folks to come in and walk around, and even once things go back to “normal”, Plantfinder still wouldn’t be a good fit.
We’re now going to be concentrating on updating and maintaining inventory through our online store. This will allow us to have everything listed so that even if something is out of stock, or out-of-season, interested parties will still be able to add themselves to a list so that they can be notified when they’re available once more.
Why remove it completely? Why not just keep it around?
Since PlantFinder can’t “talk” with our online store, it’s causing more trouble than it was intended to solve: ie, helping customers find products in stock, and purchase, or put in a request for them. People have been visiting Plantfinder, and intending to buy from their Wishlist, but since they can’t – it’s been causing far too much frustration to keep.
Thank you everyone for your understanding. Having to move online has been a learning experience for all of us, and we’re working to make things better!
- We have new varieties of Hanging Baskets in stock
- More herbs have been added, to add flavour to your upcoming days :)
- All hail has broken loose! It’s too cold for many plants, so we’re keeping most plant orders indoors. If coming in for a pickup, and if you don’t see your order, give us a call!
- We’ve finished uploading all current tomato varieties and sizes to the site!
- Many varieties come in 4-cell packs, 4″ pots, and/or Patio Pots
April 20, 2020
- Plant Finder is back up and running! Thanks for your patience while we got things sorted out.
- We have a new “Value Box” section, which now features our “Pet Friendly” boxes which have been popular on Social Media
- More of our Vegetables are ready! Take a look at our current selection of Cucumbers and Tomatoes. More will be added once they’ve grown enough :)
- Our Perennial section is growing: We’re finished adding our Top Favourites, and there’s now a section highlighting those plants which are new in 2020.
- Our Nursery Stock section is growing by leaps and bounds as well! Nearly every day, new items are being added. Check out our Fruit Trees, if you haven’t already had a chance.
- PAYPAL | We’ve been receiving reports of customers getting an odd “Try again later” error when going to pay for their online order. We’ve been going over our transactions whenever anyone mentions that error, and each time, other orders are going through without any trouble. This means that the issue could be local (there’s something going on with a web browser, or an extension that’s installed), it could be a PayPal-specific error, or it could be that there’s something going on at the bank/credit card-issuer’s end.
If this error crops up for you, please try the following:
- Give a different web browser a try (Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox)
- Call up your bank, and ask to speak with their Fraud Department. Explain that you’re trying to use your card on an online store which uses PayPal to take credit card info.
- SHIPPING | The program which controls the site’s shipping options seems to have had an update go through last night, and as a result, there may be some strangeness going on as a result. We’ve contacted the program’s Support Team to have things ironed out once more, but in the meantime if something odd does happen, please try the following:
- Try a different web browser. Example: If you use Safari or Microsoft Edge most often, try using Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox instead.
- In Google Chrome, try opening up a new “Incognito Window” and go to the site and try to put your order through again. Incognito makes sure that there isn’t anything coming between you, your web browser, and our site.
- If the same thing keeps happening, please let us know by either calling us up (905-892-5832), or by sending a message through our “Contact Us” page. If possible, please include as much info as you can about what happened, what went wrong, and whatever kind of troubleshooting you were able to try. Thanks so much!
April 18, 2020
- Something seems to be going wonky with the Plant Finder since its move to the site’s Footer. Everything should still be there, but the site seems to be having trouble connecting. We’ve got people working on it, and are hoping that it’ll be back within the next few days.
- Perennials have finally made their long-awaited appearance on the Online Store! We’ve started off with a smaller selection of our top Grasses, Ground Covers, Early Season, Coral Bells, and Favourites. We’re nowhere near done, and will be adding to the list at every opportunity.
- Has something sold out on you? We now have a new “Waitlist” feature! This means that if you were to go to a product that was, but is no longer available, you can add your email address to be added to a waitlist. Then, once we have the product back in, you’ll be notified over email so that you can go back in and buy what you had been waiting on :)
Please note that the waitlist isn’t the same as pre-ordering, or pre-paying for out-of-stock items. This means that products could potentially sell out between receiving a “back in stock” email and when you go to try and purchase it anew. If there’s something you’re very much interested in, please try to make your purchase as soon as possible.
April 17, 2020
Things are warming up! Most pickup orders will be available outside the store in the Safe Pickup Area as before.
If you don’t see your order when you arrive, please give us a call and include your name and order number, and we’ll get it for you!
For the Online side of things, we’re working on adding/tweaking the store’s Menu, so that there’s a drop down for each separate category. This is something that is going to take some fine-tuning, so there may be times that the site looks a bit strange. If this happens, please refresh and try again!
- The News page now has a link at the top menu. Easier to find and access this way!
- You can still find our original “Shop All” page here: https://www.millionplants.com/shop/
- Our Floral Boutique and Landscape Services are now found under “Services” at the menu at the very top of our site
- The Plantfinder has been moved to the footer menu, since it’s great for when the greenhouse is open to customers, but isn’t compatible with our Online Store
- New Annual additions, including categories for Hanging Baskets, Five Inch Pots, and Gallon Pots
- Succulents have been moved out of the Houseplants category, and are now in a main plant category of their own
- We now have a Pots category (Located under Plant Care in the Main Menu), which includes Decorative Pots, Garden Planters and Peat Pots
- Rare Plants now have a category of their own
- You can now contact us directly through our Contact Us page
- We now carry Aloe Vera plants online!
April 14, 2020
We’re currently working on simplifying the store, and making it easier to navigate. As a result, there’s been some movement going on with how products are categorized:
- Both seeds and bulbs are now found under their own “Seeds and Bulb” category
- Peat Pots are now located under the “Seeds and Bulbs” category
- We now have a “Bulk Yard” category, which contains our bulk mulch, stone and soil, as well as our bagged products and paving stones
- Both our DIY and completed/arranged planters can now be found in their own Arranged Planters category
- Fertilizers, weed control and pest control can now be found under a new Plant Care Products category
- We’ve heard your requests! Pots and decorative planters are being added to the store, and will be found in their own Pots category.
- As hinted above, we now have bulbs on our online store! Get a head-start on growing some gorgeous flowers today!
Jerry the cat loves you!
April 9, 2020
Change and Revisions:
- There had been a misunderstanding regarding what’s happening this Friday, April 10th (Good Friday). For the day, we’ll still be taking orders online through our webstore, and folks can pick up orders they had already made at the front of our store in the safe pickup area. Our Bulk Yard will not be making deliveries or accepting pickups for the day.
Main Additions to the Online Store:
We’ll try to continue adding new products as often as possible! Thanks again for your patronage and understanding.