Every year we receive a massive order of palms here at the greenhouse from Florida. We carefully set up our immense tropical display for you to come down to shop and experience the tropics here in Niagara. Along with our large display we also deliver and plant specialty order palms throughout the Niagara Region. You may have seen some of our palms we have supplied at locations such as The Greens At Brock in Thorold, Callahan’s Beach House in Port Dover and on Jones’ Beach in Port Weller, Ontario.
General Tips for Growing Palms in Niagara
- whether you plant in a large container or into the ground make sure the soil you choose is one that has high drainage. We recommend a sandy loam
- since your palms are in a soil with good drainage you should water frequently
- put the palms in a nice sunny location
- when planting in the ground it is a good idea to test the drainage. Once your hole is dug pour some water into it. If the water sits and pools you may want to dig a bit deeper and put a layer of drainage stone before you plant
- once planted you should use a good slow release fertilizer, once in May/June and then again in July
- while these palms do amazing in our summer they will not survive our winters. Bring them indoors before cool weather starts; around September/October depending on the season
Sadly these beautiful specimens are not hardy enough to survive our winters. Palms will do great indoors for the winter in a well-lit location and can help purify stale winter air in the house.
You can come down and pick items straight from our garden center to add to your garden or you can specialty order palms up to 30′.